Installing agents in silent mode#
In silent mode, you specify the installation properties in a text file and then run the installation without command-line prompts.
- For production environments, create a user account that is dedicated to running the agent on the computer where the agent is installed.
- Ensure that each computer where you are installing an agent has a supported version of the Java™ Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java developer kit.
- Set the JAVA_HOME system variable to the location of the JRE or JDK that you are using.
- Make sure that your networks and firewalls allow communication on the required ports. See Firewall and communication configuration.
- Ensure that there is no limit on the maximum memory size and virtual memory size. For example, on most Linux™ systems, you can run the
ulimit -vcommands and ensure that both return the value
unlimited. To find out how to remove the limit on the maximum memory size and virtual memory size, see the documentation for the operating system.
You specify the installation properties in a properties file. The example.agent.install.properties file is provided as an example of a properties file. The example.agent.install.properties file is in the ucd-agent.zip archive.
Copy the following file from the HCL™ Launch server to the target system: installation_folder/opt/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/tools/ucd-agent.zip.
Extract the ucd-agent.zip archive file.
Open the example.agent.install.properties file for editing, or copy the example.agent.install.properties file to a new properties file.
Customize the installation by editing the properties file.
If you do not specify a property, the default value is used. Some properties in the example file are commented out by default. For a list of these properties, see Agent installation properties.
Save the file.
Run the installation file with the install-agent-from-file.bat command on Windows™ or the ./install-agent-from-file.sh command on Linux. Provide the properties file as a command-line argument.
On Windows, if the properties file is named install.properties, type the following command:
The installation program installs the agent.
Upgraded or installed agents are migrated to compact mode. Note that agents are updated to compact only if the agent is installed/upgraded on a platform that supports compact agents.
Start the agent. See Starting agents.
Parent topic: Installing agents